Integrating and enabling connectivity between HCM applications and an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system is a common challenge for most businesses. From recruiting employee(s) to tracking applications, the information should be synchronized with ERP systems, E.g. SAP. Workday can be integrated with SAP by leveraging Oracle Integration Cloud Services. The integration covers, the user provisioning business use case, where new employee(s) get on-boarded and approved in Workday HR system. The respective user and related contact information gets synced to SAP as an example of integration. We can use Business Application Programming Interface (BAPI) to create new users and SAP as the ERP system to streamline processes and ensure efficiency. Enterprise Interface Builder (EIB) is leveraged to extract and transform data from Workday and deliver it to other business users.
Follow these steps to ensure both applications are connected:
1. Login to ICS and navigate to the Connection page.
- Create connections for Workday by providing host name, tenant name, WD Drive Hostname, Username and Password to connect to the Workday instance.
- Create SOAP connection with SAP endpoint which is used to create a SAP user.
2. Test and Save connections.
3. Navigate to the Integration page.
Create Integration Flow
Create Scheduled Orchestration Integration in ICS by selecting the Schedule option as the ‘trigger’. Provide the Integration name. Click the Create button.
Launch an EIB Integration: Drag and Drop a Workday connection. Provide endpoint name. Click Next. Select ‘Reporting Service’ as Workday Module. Select Asynchronous Raas. Click Next. Select ‘Launch an EIB integration’ as Integration Operation. Search for the EIB integration as per requirement. Click Next. The selected EIB is displayed in the Summary page.
Assign Activity (1): Drag Assign Cctivity from Actions tab and add a variable.
While Activity: Drag While Activity, define a value for variable created in Assign activity (1).
In the while loop:
Wait Activity: Drag a Wait Activity to keep Monitor EIB Integration progress in sleepmode for a definite time period.
Monitor EIB Integration Progress: Drag and Drop a Workday connection in the same sequence. Provide endpoint name. Click Next. Select ‘Reporting Service’ as Workday Module. Select Asynchronous Raas. Click Next. Select ‘Monitor EIB integration progress’ as Integration operation. Click Next. This operation also generates a mapper. In the mapper, map Integration_Event_Reference element from Launch_EIB response to get Integrations event.
Assign Activity (2): Drag Assign after Monitor EIB to update the variable which is created at Assign (1).
Switch Activity: Drag Switch Activity to Apply If condition.
4. Download File Generated by EIB Integration: Drag and Drop a Workday connection following the same sequence. Provide endpoint name. Click Next. Select ‘Reporting Service’ as Workday Module. Select Asynchronous Raas. Click Next. Select ‘Download file generated by EIB’ as Integration operation. A mapper is generated along with it. Map Document_ID from Get_Integration_Events_Response to Workday_file_location. The file gets downloaded once the specified time in wait activity is complete. The file containing the data of selected EIB can also be downloaded from the server’s .vfs location in .csv format. Once the file is downloaded, configure stage file action to read the downloaded file from. vfs location.
5. Stage File Action: You can choose the Drag and Drop ‘stage file’ action from Actions:
- Stage file operation
- Specify the file name
- Specify directory to read from
Click Next. Create new schema from a selected .csv file by giving file name (.csv), record name, record set name, field delimiter, and character set. You can also create some optional fields, Click Next. Check the description in the summary page. Click Done.
6. Drag and Drop SOAP connection configured with SAP endpoint to create user in SAP.
A mapper is generated, map the mandatory fields for the user to get created in SAP. Save and Close the integration. Activate the integration, and click Submit Now on by clicking the Action button.
Integration process flow of fetching user from Workday and creating it in SAP is as shown below:
- This completes the Integration. Now, generate tracking with ‘Start time’.
- Activate Integration, while activating ensure that Enable tracking button is checked.
- After activation, click the horizontal lines symbol. Click Submit Now to submit the Integration.
In the above integration, select ‘EIB’ as a Workday API to trigger a Workday Enterprise Integration system. The EIB can generate Workday data output in .csv format. Use the stage to read the .csv file. The user data after monitoring for a specified time period can be downloaded from the .vfs location. Configure Monitor Activity Retrial Interval based on the average time taken by EIB to execute the best outcome. Check the loop carefully and make sure it does not run for long and set some threshold for retrial count, if EIB takes a longer time to execute.